Improper use of access equipment on construction projects continues to cause workplace injuries in Ontario. The use of elevating work platforms may put workers at risk when the equipment is not adequately used, maintained or stored, or when manufacturer’s instructions are not followed and equipment limitations are not respected.
Beginning August. 1st, 2011, the Ministry of Labour safety inspectors will focus on hazards involving access equipment used to allow workers access to various locations at construction projects. Equipment includes ladders, suspended stages and elevated work platforms.
It is recommended to review the following:
- Worker training records on access equipment.
- Safe use, inspection and testing of access equipment.
- Maintenance records and other documentation.
- Rescue and emergency procedures; and
- Other hazards as it relates to access equipment.
For more information on access equipment I have attached some general information on obligations under the OHSA and Construction Project Regulations.